Open First Day
ARCHIVE: Please note that this agenda is an archive. The event has concluded on September 28, 2018. If you notice mistakes, we will be happy to make adjustments based on your feedback. Please contact us via the project repository or email at: email@example.com.
Following the redaction of the Open First Whitepaper, the Open First Day will highlight how the Government of Canada has been and will continue adopting Open Standards, using and contributing to Open Source Software, thus supporting an open culture and open markets.
Government of Canada departments have been working openly and in collaboration with the population as well as with private companies to enhance the quality of their service offerings for all Canadians using Open Source Software and Open Standards.
This day will provide an opportunity for the various actors of the public service, private sector and the population to discuss and engage together in order to exchange on the progress made over the last years and how we can continue to add value to our activities and services together.
Format of the day
The Open First Day will offer a wide variety of activities and sessions for participants to learn and engage with other government employees as well as with private sector representatives and members of the public.
In order to help capture the breadth of what is in scope, we have put together multiple streams.
The first stream is the general, or “executive”, stream which is geared towards a higher level view of what Open Government is; how we can use and contribute to Open Source Software.
There will also be three more specific streams with sessions where engagement with the participants will be encouraged.
- The Rules stream will have a session around the legislative clarifications and guidance on the use and contribution to Open Source Software.
- The Tools stream will offer sessions around the decentralized version control system Git and how it is possible to leverage Open Source Software at every layer of an application.
- The People stream will explore the work done by various departments in terms of crowdsourcing and open collaboration as well as how Open Source Software can be leveraged in such initiatives.
Finally, the unconference stream will offer a moderated space for all to exchange on topics of interest for the people present that day. Our team of moderators will start the day with an exercise that will provide a chance to gauge what topics are of importance to the participants on site and will go on to build the agenda of the day around these.
For the people who are already familiar with these topics, a series of networking activities will be held during the day to help support a greater cohesion of the community of practice as well as the external service providers. Such activities include networking activity during lunchtime, on-demand matchmaking meetings and an after event social mixer.
To register, please fill in the form at the following link (if you’re not from a government department, please choose “Other” as your organisation):
Registration is over.
Please note that we have to limit number of registrations for this event to 250 people but that a waiting list will be created upon reaching the maximum number of registrants to ensure as many people as possible can attend.
In order to support remote participation to the event, we will establish a streaming option for the main sessions.
To join the webcast for the sessions that will be hosted in the Forge starting at 08:30, use the following link:
To join the webcast for the sessions that will be hosted in the training room starting at 10:30, use the following link:
The links for the full recordings will remain available until September 2019.
Date & Time
- September 28, 2018
- From 08:30 to 16:00
- Registration starts at 08:00
- Bayview Yards, 7 Bayview Rd, Ottawa, ON K1Y 2C5
- Free of charge
- Government of Canada Public Servants - All levels
- Private Sector Companies Representatives
- General Public
- A coffee shop is available on site for snacks and lunch.
- A meeting room will be available for short discussions on reservation.
- A whiteboard will be setup to exchange contact informations.
- A networking activity will be organized during lunch.
See the detailed schedule for more information about the sessions.